CSA December 2, 2019 Board Minutes
Meeting called to order by Bill Lutz, President at 4:00pm.
• Thank you to Tammy Kipp for providing oﬃce space for our meeting.
• Directors present: Bill Lutz, Tammy Kipp, Gene Barrett, Nancy Hurst, Mike Assaad, Linc Barefoot, John Calce, Arlene Garrity, Mike McCabe, Terri Moellers, Rex Storter
• Directors absent: Kerry Dustin
• Introduction of FPL Storm Secure Underground Program Project Manager, Troy Todd, Norm Krise, Lead Customer Outreach, Paul Perry, Aqualane Shores President
FPL Underground Service Conversion Pilot Program: Troy Todd, 239-424-1240; firstname.lastname@example.org; Norm Krise
• Since 2006, FPL has invested $4 billion into making the power grid stronger and more storm resilient.
• Protection has increased against power outages caused by debris and falling trees onto power lines outside of FPL’s right of way easement.
• Storm Secure Underground Program is a three year pilot program to bury power lines in certain neighborhoods, primarily on side streets and backyards.
• The FPL pilot program will help determine the cost eﬀectiveness of underground utility lines in restoring power faster to residents, when severe storms occur.
• Underground lines performed 85% better in Hurricane Irma than overhead power lines.
• Coquina Sands streets included in pilot program include: Banyan Blvd, Banyan Circle, Coral Dr., Murex, Yucca, Pine Ct., and east side of Crayton Rd.
• FPL is currently in communication with Coquina property owner pilot participants.
• Selected residents have no out-of-pocket expense, or upfront cost to participate in program.
• FPL cost for conversion to underground utilities for Coquina Sands pilot program, $1.9 million. • A 10’’x 10’ private front yard easement required from property owners prior to underground project going forward.
• FPL concrete transformer foundation measures 55”L x 48”W x 6” tall.
• FPL transformer equipment measurement: 40”L x 36”W x 26” tall
• Every 4th or 5th home must have an easement agreement for 4’ x 2.5’ transformer to be installed in homeowner’s front yard.
• Customer FPL Storm Secure junction box and Coquina property owner easement agreements must be in place by March 2020, or FPL will pull out of pilot project.
• FPL presently maintains ownership of utility poles.
• Other cable utilities will be aﬀected and involved in removal of poles.
• Comcast is the least receptive cable company involved.
• Utility poles will be removed, if other utilities participate.
• The City and FPL Corporation is currently in negotiations concerning Directional Boring.
• 2021 is the projected start for Coquina Sands underground utility conversion, provided City and FPL agreement is reached.
• FPL rates to go down after the 1st of the year in 2020.
• Time frame for pilot program following engineering permitting: 8-10 weeks for underground utility installation; 12-14 weeks for removal of top half of utility poles.
• Storm Secure Underground Program / FPL.com/SSUP
Treasurer’s Report: Gene Barrett
Coquina Sands Association December 2, 2019
Prepared by: Gene Barrett
Balance as of November 4, 2019 $14,416.78
Memberships (42)* and RCC cards (30)* 3,178.17
Total Income $3,178.17
Ridgway Bar & Grill - deposit for annual meeting & party 300.00
Gary Bergmoser - 100 2020 RCC cards 800.00
Total Expenses $1,100.00
Balance as of December 2, 2019 $16,494.95
Balance of 50% for community entrance signs 2,654.00
Balance after “committed” expenditures $13,840.95
Website renovation - not to exceed 4,500.00
Balance after “committed” and “approved” expenditures $9,340.95
18 members paid $70 without indicating whether they expected an RCC card; one paid $90 and asked for (and was sent) 3 RCC cards One member, Carol Short, paid $70 twice - unclear if it's for two different properties, or if she expects a refund
Aqualane Shores/ Century Link: Paul Perry
• Century Link Hi Speed Fiber Optics is 5 times faster.
• A majority vote from property owners was needed for Century Link to be installed.
• Aqualane secured 320 positive votes out of 550 rooftops necessary to install Century Link’s underground ﬁber optics internet in three weeks by going door to door.
• $600.00 installation cost per household
• It took over one year to obtain property owner agreements and secure special assessments from the City.
• 2021 Century Link’s projected completion date for Aqualane Shores.
Status of Coquina Sands Welcome Signs: Linc Barefoot, Bill Lutz
• Two signs installed; one sign resubmitted; one sign denied in permitting; another sign incorrectly permitted on Banyan Blvd. • A sign should be placed at Coquina entrance; 1800 Gulf Shore Blvd.
• All entrance signs need power washing.
Website Redesign: Linc Barefoot
• CSA dues increase to $70.00 adjusted on website.
• PayPal updated to one time payment, rather than auto pay option for the following year.
• Board Minutes to be posted when approved.
• Important to have real time updates and current info on website by Board member, rather than paying webmaster for updates.
• Goal of redesigned website is to increase CSA membership.
Board Member Acknowledgements: Bill Lutz
• Thank you to Arlene for agreeing to chair the upcoming Annual event.
• Terry Moellers, Mary Pat Peterson, and Kara Barefoot will manage entrance desks.
• Gene to print name tags for event.
• Thank you to Kerry for drafting the CSA newsletter; Nancy for coordinating printing and mailing; Rex and Jim Mayer for providing 2019 property owners tax list.
• Kerry, Rex and Gene to review ByLaws for CSA membership approval.
Hotwire Fiber Optic Service: Gene Barrett
• Hotwire ﬁber optic technology proved to be an eﬀective bundled solution implemented at Gene’s former subdivision.
• Hotwire provides very fast internet speed and bundled solutions including natural gas, electrical power, and IT services.
• Utility rates were cut in half with Hotwire’s converged solutions. • Gene suggested Board appoint a liaison between Century Link, Teco Energy, and FPL.
• Suggestion that Board communicate with presidents of each condo unit concerning
• possible bundled solutions.
• Gene has agreed to explore the possibility of getting Hi Speed Internet and natural gas for the community.
Comments: Bill Lutz
• Bill agreed to serve as interim president until replacement can be found, or decision made to extend term limits.
• Nancy has agreed to serve as interim secretary until position is ﬁlled.
Motion to adjourn by Mike McCabe, seconded by Tammy.
Meeting adjourned at 6:00pm.